Wednesday, August 22, 2012

BC Continued

Tuesday August 21
Our plans to head up Toba Inlet and check out the glacial water and tall mountains was foiled by cloud cover, so we rounded East Redonda Island and headed south 20 miles back to Prideaux Haven.  We stern tied in our normal location in 23 feet of water and immediately got Trenton over to the rope swing he loves so much.  We had leftover curried chicken sandwiches and clam chowder for lunch while watching a group of twenty Boy Scouts (who were on a six day paddling trip) give the rope swing a try.  Rain starting falling, the Boy Scouts scattered and I turned on the tablet to catch up on the blog.  Before the trip this year I bought a 7" Samsung Galaxy Android tablet along with a couple of accessories like a small bluetooth keyboard and an adapter to read my Nikon's SD card.   It has handled everything I have thrown at it so far--storing all of the maps for the B.C. coast and tracking and recording every movement of the boat, handling all 450 photos from the trip, a free app does as much photo editing as I would typically do in Photoshop at home, and I have typed and posted the blog whenever internet service was available--everything I would have done from my chunky laptop--this thing is great.  
Our anchorage in Prideaux Haven:

Red snapper in pasta with a greek salad:


Monday August 20
We went fishing in the morning and came back to the boat with two small ling cod, a tiger rockfish, one red snapper and one rockcod.  I got wrapped up in the Litigators book and read another 120 pages.  We made french fries from fresh potatoes and battered the fish and made tasty fish and chips for dinner.  In an effort to be brief on my blog postings I usually leave some stuff out.  Not today, what you read was literally everything I did today, which was basically nothing, by far the laziest day I have probably had in years.

Sunday August 19
We picked up a few groceries at the Refuge Cove General Store and headed north 17 miles to Walsh Cove between East and West Redonda Islands. It was our first cloudy and cool day on the trip, so I did something I don't often have time to do--pick up a book (John Grisham's The Litigators) and read 200 pages.  At home I never make time to read; these boat trips are a nice change of pace.  
Walsh Cove:


Saturday August 18
We hauled anchor and made the short 10 mile jaunt to Refuge Cove on West Redonda Island.  We spent the night tied to the dock.  I got really wrapped up in the book Sunny Sandy Savary, so I spent several hours that evening finishing the book.  When Savary Island was subdivided and lots put on sale in the early 1900s, marketing material was delivered to shopping malls as far south as California.  10 acre lots were evidently purchased by mall-roaming teenagers in California who have never even seen the island, for a paltry dollar per acre, ten dollars total.  In the 1970s waterfront lots were selling for less than $7,000--too bad such deals no longer exist today.  

Towing the dinghy to Refuge Cove:

No comments:

Post a Comment