Shortly after waking up we pulled the boat off anchor and moved into the mostly unoccupied Laura Cove, with a nice view up the Waddington Channel and of Mount Unwin in the distance. The water was 72 degrees at the boat and probably well over 80 degrees by the rocky coast. We spent the day swimming, paddling the kayaks through the coves and generally relaxing. Aunt Christine and I took a nice paddle after dark, enjoying the sunset and the boats illuminated on the water. For dinner we had clam linguine with artichoke hearts, onions and celery with a clam nectar and butter base.
We spent most of the day on Savary Island today, walking the length of the frontage road by the government dock and looking at some of the historic homes built in the very late 1800s and described in the book I have been reading in the evenings, Sunny Sandy Savary. We found the very small general store, a coffee shop, small island bike shop and what appeared to be a small campground with shower facilities. This is the extent of available services on the island other than a kayak rental shop and a small lodge on the other end of the island. We walked the length of the beach from the government dock on the north side of the island to our anchorage about 1/2 mile from Indian Point. Afterward, we left late in the day for Lund, then continued north through the Copeland Islands and onto Desolation Sound, arriving late in the evening after dark and tucking back into Prideaux Haven with more boats than we have ever seen. We had pulled pork over mashed potatoes for dinner, then went to sleep shortly thereafter.
Following a french toast breakfast we headed almost due west 4.7 miles to our anchorage near the north west side of Savary Island, one of my favorite places in B.C. After anchoring we made our way to shore in the dinghy to take advantage of low tide and dig for clams. We were able to find 30 pounds of clams before the tide made its way in. I spent the next few hours kayaking around the island in a counter-clockwise direction. I paddled as hard as I could the entire time and I think I was pretty close to the half way point around the island before I headed back. Once I reached the northwestern tip of the island I heard the familiar sound of orcas huffing and spotted three of them, although they were a bit far out for a really good view. While I was away, they set the crab pot and were able to catch seven male crabs, the only ones you can keep. There were about 35 female crabs in the trap we had to throw back. We boiled and cracked the crab while watching the sun set from the top of the salon deck. For dinner, not surprisingly, we had fresh crab over rice with drawn butter and a side of vegetables.
For my own future reference, the water taxi between Lund and Savory Island is $11 per person, $2 per bike and single kayaks $15 (all each way). Baggage allowance is two 24x16 or 32 lt totes and one medium sized duffle bag. Phone is (604) 483-9749.
A home in Lund I wouldn't mind owning:
No comments:
Post a Comment