I took my first bike ride today since I was injured and it felt GREAT! It was a pleasant 74 degrees when I rode, there was no traffic and I didn’t swallow one bug. I was a little worried about crashing but that rarely happens on a stationary bike. :)
All joking aside, my therapist is recommending that I purchase a bike trainer and supplement my existing routine with cycling…I think I can do that, and do it happily! (Does anyone have any mountain biking video I can simultaneously watch to make it more interesting, haha.)
Since I have nothing but time on my hands and the desire to get back into shape, I have been spending a lot of time exercising at home. My right wrist was basically immovable from being in an external fixator for so long, so I started working on range of motion in the wrist, bending the fingers back and forth, etc, and it paid-off well. I saw the hand therapist today at Kaiser for the first time and he was impressed how much range of motion I had--he had seen only my radiographs. The range of motion is far from good but the exercises he set me up with will help get it back. He indicated I had “months” of physical therapy ahead of me but indicated that I should get most of what I had back, wrist-wise. Keep in mind that the other wrist seems to be 100% healed and doing great.
At this point I am only 50% weight-bearing on my right leg but I think that number will increase at the end of the month when I have my next appointment with the orthopedist. I hope that if I continue to work on building up the strength and range of motion in my right wrist, that I can throw this walker aside and “upgrade” to crutches. Two weeks ago I had casts on nearly all of my limbs, so the walker and wheelchair did not look out of place. Now that those casts are gone and were replaced with just one splint, I fear I look more special ed than injured. (No offense to anyone, of course.)
I see it now. Ken on a stationary bike for 10 hours a day. Before you know it you'll be shaving your legs and shooting snot rockets.
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome news Ken!
ReplyDeleteMaybe Mike, but I draw the line at working on my roof or mowing the lawn in spandex, lol.
ReplyDeleteYou say that now. Wait until you move in to your new house. You'll be riding and then remember you had to run up there for something, next thing you know you've pulled a Mike.
ReplyDeleteI hope to not be on the roof much. I'll call you if/when the need arises but you will need to wear the appropriate attire.
ReplyDeleteMornin’ Ken,
ReplyDeleteIs that new bike going to have one of those razor-thin saddles, or one of those comfy, cushy tractor seats (like mine)? Seriously, how was it, sitting on the seat? That is awesome that your pelvis has healed to the point that you are, literally, “back in the saddle, again.”
We worked on the Bronco this weekend and finally got it up and running and smogged. Scott wants to drive it back to Kansas when he leaves for school at the end of the week. He’s looking for a co-pilot. Are you up for a road trip? The beast has auto w/cruise & power steering. It’s easy to drive! Actually, with the way it rides, all your new hardware would probably vibrate loose before you made it to the state line. It would be a perfect candidate for the ‘cash for clunkers’ program if Arnold hadn’t walked off with my car payment money.
Speaking of the Governator, when do you see yourself returning to his valued service? Keep me posted on the upcoming move. The truck and trailer are available (so am I, if you can’t find some younger horses).
Hi Dave, yea, a roadtrip doesn't sound good at all, at this point. And you're right, it's too bad you couldn't turn the Bronco in for something more fuel efficient. I think an Abrahms tank has about the same fuel economy.
ReplyDeleteThe stationary bike actually felt fine. They are starting me off slow with low resistance, so I did not notice any pain.
I should be back to work some time in September. I will know more as we get closer to that time.
The plan so far is to clean the new house this Friday, Saturday we will move a few things over like backyard and garage stuff, Sunday may be some of the same and the following Saturday the 22nd we will move furniture. I do have some help but I sure wouldn't turn down more. No pressure though, we'll get it. :)