Sunday, July 5, 2009

The cost of flying first class

Received a nice little letter from CalStar Helicopter Services today:



...along with a small bill for their services:

Did you notice the $23,540 for the first mile of the flight...ouch.

10 comments:

  1. Wow. Remind me never to fall off a cliff and require helicopter assistance! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done dude. Do you think CalSTAR does OA's looking for people to send bills to? I think I would if I were charging that much. I think you're right on the money about buying a helicopter. We could make a butt load of money picking people up and taking them around, even if we offered a 50% off deal on CalSTAR's prices. The rubicon forums always advertise being a supporter of the program, I think it's $40 and is supposed to cover you for a year. I think it's a great deal considering they cover the ski resorts and wheeling areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, oxygen is expensive!

    At least you got a nice letter with your bill. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mornin' Ken,

    $33K for a whirly-go-round ride! That's almost as much as some kids spend on their limo ride on prom night. I hope it had a big-screen tv and a killer sound system. Fortunately, the bar on your ride was well stocked with fluids, even if they were served intraveniously.

    I understand that you already have a ramp installed, complete with banks and jumps. Well, I imagine that there will be other projects to help with, especially if the house purchase goes through.

    You should make a list of movies that you want to see and we all can check our collections to see if we have them.

    Hang in there and keep making progress.

    Dave

    P.S. Your plant is doing fine. How's the fish?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dave,
    Burney is doing really well and he seems plenty entertained. Thanks for the offer for help--if anything comes up I will be sure to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ken, sounds like you are doing great. Some day soon I'll drive into work and try to stop by on my way home.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you think CalStar charged extra because you rode inside vs. the open air feel of the CHP ride?

    ReplyDelete
  8. "You get what you pay for." The CHP helicopter ride was a little frightening since I rode out of the canyon under the darned thing. The cost? Zero. For a mere $33,800 extra I got to fly inside the Calstar helicopter and instead of ordering a cocktail I apparently chose the $150 oxygen hit. Good thing they didn't present me a menu with pricing or I might have died right there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Should have asked for a Korean war era MASH style heli ride. You're outside but at least ya get a bubble over yer head!
    Great to talk to you the other day.

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  10. The nurse onboard the chopper stopped in to see me at the hospital and told me to come visit calstar headquarters when I recover. She said they would take me up in the chopper again and when I laughed she promised she was quite serious. I guess I'm in the calstar frequent flier club now.

    ReplyDelete