Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Day weekend

I have managed to live and work in northern California and somehow never visit the Shasta-Trinity Wilderness area, so Memorial Day weekend seemed like a good time to give it a try. We were surprised by the complete lack of people and once we ventured off pavement we had a wide selection of beautiful primitive camp areas along a creek to choose from.

I'm tired and in need of sleep, so here are some photos for now.

Train pulling wind turbine blades:


Anyone want tobacco by the pound? Yuba City is your place.


Yuba City in general gave me a few chuckles:


Whiskeytown Lake


I caught this image of an eagle trying to pluck fish out of the Trinity River


Not a bad find for Memorial Day weekend, next to a beautiful creek with swimhole (albeit a cold one), NO people, and you can't beat the price (free):


Creek flowing through camp:




Next time the kayaks are coming too.

4 comments:

  1. I love that eagle pic. Do you care if I post it on my blog, too? My mom would love to see that the fancy zoom lens on my camera is getting good use :-)

    Also, I think it's really funny that the wind turbines got top billing in this post. You're such a geek :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I know. I like to post pictures in the order they were taken, so I guess by default it gets top billing. Are you sure your mom won't be more impressed with the car with the canoe on the roof instead of the stupid eagle pic? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barney needs to follow you up there next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm sure my mom would love the canoe picture. Sadly, you took that one with your point and shoot, not my fancypants DSLR. :-)

    ReplyDelete