Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Day of Visitors

Ken started the day with a big breakfast of fruit and blueberry French toast, followed by 45 minutes of physical therapy. He was able to put weight on his left leg to get the blood circulating. He is not very adept with a walker, because he does not have two working wrists to support his upper body weight. The left wrist has a minor fracture that does not require surgery and should heal on its own in 4-6 weeks. The right wrist has pins and bars to hold it in place and will require significant recovery time and PT.

Today he had the equivalent of a huge party in his room all day long. In addition to the nurses and staff, his mother, me (sister), my husband Joe, and friends Matt, Audrey, Ricardo, Maria, and Bill spent a good part of the day with him. Beware, any people that visit may be required to have their picture taken by my mom. The good news is that she does not work her camera well and there is only a 50-50 chance that you will actually be photographed. Today all photographs were taken in black and white. According to my Mom, that was entirely the camera’s fault. If anyone would like a black and white portrait, please let us know and we can put you in contact with the photographer. LOL

Regarding Bob’s suggestion to add a section called “Ask Ken,” we will do our best to have Ken answer the questions, but there is no WiFi at this hospital so there will be some lag time with a response. (If you would like to donate a Verizon air card, please let us know.)

Ask Ken

No, there are no restrictions on Ken’s diet. He would not have that.

Russ asked about Ken’s camera and luckily he was carrying the point and shoot and it made it out in much better condition than him.

No, there have been no calls to cute nurses. Ken is working on a strictly professional basis.

Ken’s Quotes of the Day

I can do a lot of stuff with a $1.50 device (Referring to his back scratcher)

No, that’s the way I want it! (Referring to listing each person that came by today)

Mom said, “Where did the buttons go?” (Diane was trying to take a picture with the camera upside down).

What kind of hospital is this with no WiFi? You can get it at the flea market for God’s sake.

10 comments:

  1. So, Kaiser has it's trade offs. More visitors, no wi-fi. Oh well! Maybe Ken can start a campaign there to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wi-fi? Bummer -- I miss your emails :-( I guess you need to get your wrists all healed up before you can really type, anyway, right?

    Glad to hear that you're making good progress and that you have lots of visitors to keep you amused and well-stocked on smoothies. Let me know if you want me to visit and I'll figure out a time to drive out there. I have endless amusing stories to tell you about my mom's dude ranch adventures -- the horse rolling in a mud puddle with her still on its back was just the first day, so you can imagine how it went from there. You definitely still win the freak accident contest, though. :-)

    Chris C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, there. Great to see you yesterday. I'll check in later this week. I'm starting to like hospitals! Ok, maybe not, but its getting better and seeing you doing so well certainly helped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mornin’ Ken,

    I took Friday off and so I’ve been off the net for 3+ days (you know how much time I spend on a computer when I’m away from the office). The first thing I did this morning, after filling my cup at BriBuck’s, was to check your update. I know your mom and your sister set this thing up for your benefit, but a lot of your friends really appreciate being able to follow your progress. Give them each a hug with your good arm.

    Sounds like you had a pretty busy weekend. We didn’t get a chance to check out your first digs, but Cleta and I plan to come by Kaiser after work today. We had to cancel our visit last week because they were busy welding your chassis back together. So what have you got now, something along the lines a unibody construction? Should’ve had them install some rock sliders while they were at it.

    See you soon,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wifi!!! I guess I'll hold off on posting links to beater cars for awhile then. :) Glad to hear that you are able to have visitors and it seems you are keeping a good attitude.

    I'm going to start calling you "Steve Austin"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7zNY0I5JNI
    "we can rebuild him, we have the technology.."

    Hope you had a good day and have a good night,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ken, Claire and I were hanging out with Chris at the central coast meetup and he filled us in. We sure are glad you'll pull through.

    Boy are you gonna have some email when you finally get back online. ;-)

    I signed in to follow your blog. We hope you bounce back real quick. (ha ha! ok bad joke...) Get well soon!

    Frank and Claire

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ken:
    Sounds like your on the road to recover.

    I promise - no humpty dumpty jokes (at least not for a while). Maybe a humorous bionic man analogy in the near future.

    Hang in there dude.
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ken! This is Leo from GIS Unit...only just heard of your adventure! I'm so glad you're getting better. What the heck happened?! Were you not following your trusty GPS unit?! :) All of us here at GIS were shocked, but soooo happy you are pulling through this...with your appetite in check from what I've read! Continue on getting better, we all want you back. Place of Use Project cannot exist without you! Take care buddy.

    GIS Unit
    Leo Anguiano

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ken,
    Remind me to tell you about the POU app. and my experinces this week. There is worry that if I get hit by a bus the project will end up going on a trip in a hand basket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ken! Hope these last two days have treated you well and that you're making progress and that the pain subsides a little each day. I'm online shopping for a Gopher for you right now....

    ReplyDelete